Wednesday, June 06, 2007


The Attack of the Voles

Perhaps you're lucky enough to never have experienced a summer attack of the voles. No, there's been no little army of rats banging down my front door. In fact, I've not seen a one. These little guys work undercover. Translation: Our landscaping is falling over- literally. To date, we've lost four flame bushes in a row. One morning I'm convinced that we'll wake up to see all vertical plants in our front flower beds just lying flat on the grass. The roots are chewed out from under them. It's been a case of misdiagnosis up until this point. We were sure we had an armadillo rooting around and knocking over the plants. When I found out it would cost $500!!! to rid us professionally of said armadillo, I spent $100 buying my own trap and bait. We loaded it and hid it behind some bushes. I've been worried that we'll catch a neighborhood cat instead. Well, the bushes we hid it behind have fallen over, and we've been exposed. These little guys are going down! And did I mention we have an armadillo trap for sale?!

2 comments:

Julia said...

Charity;

I've been gone a few days and was catching up on your blog. I remember those pregnancy and post pregnancy days of "depression", it was so weird since this was/is not my normal personality. I'm so glad those days did end, they will come and go again for you too, feel free to call anytime, I'll keep a joke book or tissue box handy. :)

Good luck killing the varmits! Ya gotta hate something that's willing to take out an innocent plant. I can't imagine a Armadillo trap going to waste in the south, you'll need it sooner or later.

Last, but not least, I give my full approval of the new little guys name. (I know you were waiting for that with baited breath!)

sarahmfry said...

What wonderful southern memories. I think I'd freak if I saw a dead armadillo in the road up here, but I wish I had a dollar for every one I saw down there. Hey - I added your blog to my blogging friends list . Is that okay? Miss you - wish I could come to camp. Great memories.