Monday, November 08, 2010

Winter Love and Hate

I love the flavors of winter: the nutmeg, pumpkin, cinnamon, peppermint. The sounds of winter: bells, the Hallelujah Chorus, the crooners' Christmas renditions. The ambience of winter: candles, greenery, fireplace, the bite of cold against my face. The holidays of winter: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's, my (30th-sh!) birthday. These almost make up for the cold. But there is just one winter event that will take my breath away every time. I attended the first one of the season just last week.

The twilight sky was charcoal smudges from another cloudy day. But just at the edge of the horizon was an explosion of color. Breathtaking oranges and pinks. Etched along it in black were a thousand sleeping trees. I'm not sure what it is about a winter sunset, but they are the Hallelujah chorus, the joy of the season all mixed up in one visual feast.

Ah... now to what happens after the sunset. Which is at 4:52 approximately. What in the world do I do with two busy little people until 9:00? I need a plan, people. Help me out. (My natural inclination is to pull up the chairs and let them help me bake, bake, bake. The only problem with this scenario is the food, food, food!) I'm all ears....

6 comments:

Heather said...

Hey, I found a book a yr or two ago on clearance. It's called The Wiggle & Giggle Busy Book. I'm just now starting to read it for a few ideas for Hannah. It's got indoor and outdoor activities sections and then a few holiday ideas. I'm not sure the age category that it applies to. I'll have to check on that and let you know.

Raylin said...

Homemade playdough... cinnamon applesauce christmas tree ornaments... pilgrim hats out of paper... :)

Vloggerlyfe said...

Hey, I'm your newest follower, I like your blog! Whitney's Random Ideas

Julia said...

I have an answer to your question and then I have a question. Answer: Bake all you want and then send it to me. You can thank me later.
Question: So how does one get up at 4:52? I suppose my body could get up, but my soul would stay in bed until at least 6 o'clock, it would take another hour for my mind to join my body and soul.

The Dickinsons said...

Juwah's comment cracked me up! Your post was cute and made me ready for Christmas...but I'm hoping to get into our own home to decorate it first. But, How does one decorate a home with just studs for walls? =)

My suggestion...listen to Odessey and have your kids help fold laundry. HA! (You can tell I'm the Mother of 5, can't you. Always laundry to fold. =)

Charity said...

Thanks gals! That's some great ideas! Heehee, Julia! SunSET at 4:52, dahling... I do hope you're up by 4:52 p.m. ;o) And you pay the shipping, I'll send all you can eat ;o) (p.s. don't click on the Whitney person- I have no idea who that is...)