Sunday, May 08, 2011

Invictus/My Captain
Somewhere along the way we have all heard "I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul." Since I'm a bit puny today, I'm curled up in bed with a book of poetry. I found Invictus by Henley and Dorothea Day's response side by side. We've all tried to 'captain' our own soul at some point. Here is Day's beautiful take on the original:

Out of the light that dazzles me,
Bright as the sun from pole to pole,
I thank the God I know to be
For Christ the conqueror of my soul.

Since His the sway of circumstance,
I would not wince nor cry aloud.
Under that rule which men call chance
My head with joy is humbly bowed.

Beyond this place of sin and tears
That life with Him! And His the aid,
Despite the menace of the years,
Keeps, and shall keep me, unafraid.

I have no fear, though strait the gate,
He cleared from punishment the scroll.
Christ is the Master of my fate,
Christ is the Captain of my soul.

No comments: