Wednesday, October 26, 2011


POEM #27 - Ella Wheeler Wilcox (1850-1919)

The poem hits on one of Nathan and my recurring conversations. Why is it that some people just do right no matter what, and others don't? Siblings who grow up in identical settings can be so very different. One person gets cancer and becomes an inspirational speaker; another gets bitter for life. What makes one person 'good soil' and another 'not good?' Is it just God's sovereignty- pouring extra grace into some of our lives and not into others? What do you think?

The Winds of Fate

One ship drives east and another drives west
With the selfsame winds that blow.
'Tis the set of the sails
And not the gales
Which tells us the way to go.

Like the winds of the sea are the ways of fate,
As we voyage along through life:
'Tis the set of a soul
That decides its goal,
And not the calm or the strife.

4 comments:

lauralavon said...

My present understanding: we decide how we will respond. Scripture is filled with admonition to respond correctly, to choose wisely, to trust completely that whatever comes my way can make me more like Jesus if I allow it. Enjoying your poems, Charity.

Charity said...

Thanks for the feedback, Laura. I agree wholeheartedly with you. The sticky point for me is that (let's take children for an example) some seem to have more of a desire for God than others- even within the same family. Makes me wonder about generational spiritual blessings and curses. I pray for all the blessings from those who've done right to fall right on their little noggins, and the curses to be stymied by God's grace. What do you think?

Valorie Quesenberry said...

Charity, I wonder if a generational curse would not equally affect all the siblings in a family? Yet, I understand what you're saying - there doesn't seem to be a logical explanation. I wonder if part of the answer could lie in the realm of individual temperament - aren't some more inclined to submit to authority, receive instruction, not hold a grudge, etc.? Perhaps those children whose temperaments cause them to naturally balk at life's injustices are the ones who need more focused parental prayer and time. That's not to say that the parent is to blame when a child becomes bitter and/or rebellious. All of us have a natural proclivity to some form of pitfall. Those who are more compliant and accepting may fall victim to depression, hypocrisy or burnout. There is some stimuli out there to test our faith - no matter what our personality. We hear about the outrageous ones; there are others that are more subtle. Wow, does that ever make me conscious of my responsibility as a parent!

Charity said...

Valorie,

Great ideas! I feel a blogpost coming on this one...