Tuesday, July 15, 2008

/>
Self-Centered: It's Just What We Are

Kathryn and I had a teachable moment today. Upon leaving ALDI Supermarket, we saw a woman rummaging through her purse, presumably for the quarter to release a shopping cart (hereafter referred to as a 'buggy') from the rack-thingie. Kathryn had just rescued our quarter, which she deemed a 'miracle!' By this, I'm assuming she did not see me put it in. Anyhoo, there's this poor woman who has succumbed to the 'carry-no-cash' mentality that I also suffer from on most occasions. After all, I only bought hamburger buns, because I only had 95 cents on me in the first place. Pity welled up, and I instructed Kathryn to give the lady our quarter for her buggy.

We got all strapped in the car, and I launched off on this teachable moment. You know how it goes... The Bible tells us that if we have the means to do good to someone who needs it, we should... and this poor lady needed a quarter, and we had one, etc. etc. Quietness ensues. I imagine deep truths of compassion and generosity sinking into the fertile heart of my child. Then a little voice pipes up from the back seat, "Mommy? I need a quarter, too." Ah, well...

4 comments:

Julie Schultz said...

What can I say? That's priceless! (Definitely worth a quarter.) :-)

Lisa Messner said...

That is adorable. I love that age. Kids say the "cutest" things. Now if I could just remember to write them down....
Way to go!

Holly said...

Gotta love the Aldi's system! Jerrel tries to get the quarter out the whole time! We had a "teachable moment" the other day, with similar results!

Andrea said...

Hey Charity, I noticed Heidi F. has a blog now, she and I were in elementary school together, I would like to catch up with her! If you wouldn't mind, please pass along my email to her, ask if she would contact me. Thanks.
babysickler@yahoo.com