Saturday, April 03, 2010

Lost in Thought

No, I've not quit blogging. I'm just in one of those pensive phases, from which usually comes a flurry of blogs. Ever feel just like "receiving" data, instead of putting it out there? Just reading others' thoughts, rather than producing your own? Specifically, that means I've been hanging out with my "book friends." Hopefully, you also have some authors that you feel connected to. The kind that would seem normal sitting in your kitchen, sharing your morning cup of coffee, mostly because they've been present so many times in your thoughts. The kind that lift you up, edify your spirit, bring focus to your day's walk.

I've been walking up the Strela Pass with Gail MacDonald in her book Keep Climbing. I've been lighting candles, listening to Mozart, walking in botanical gardens, taking communion. That's where I feel like being just now- quiet. Of course, reality adds to my days Sonic Happy Hour, grocery shopping, cleaning up poopy accidents, finding a possum on my back porch eating the cat food, sweating my way through my workout- real life.

We're lying if we tell ourselves there is no pain or inconvenience in losing weight, getting fit, having a clean home, potty training or grocery shopping. At a certain point, we just have to do it. Truth be told, the discipline of quietness before the Lord is often inconvenient and painful (especially since sleeping in is OUT- for me, that is). Just do it. And ah! What a fabulous place for the mind to rest. As MacDonald says, it's a safe place for our doubts to surface. A place to enjoy.

Here are a few of my book friends: Edith Schaeffer, Gail MacDonald, Jan Karon, Elizabeth George, Teresa de Avila, C.S. Lewis, just to name a few. Reintroduce yourself to an old friend, grab a cup of coffee (with lots and lots of yummy flavored creamer), and unplug. Facebook will wait.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

i like the picture you paint of "quiet".

yummy looking food and cute, cute kiddos in the above post:)